In this series, I follow Jesus’ disciples during the hours and days right after Jesus’ Resurrection as told in each of the four Gospels and the Book of Acts (The Acts of the Apostles).
The Gospel According to Matthew:
Then the eleven disciples left for Galilee, going to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him—but some of them doubted!
Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”Matthew 28:16-20
The faithful disciples went to Galilee as directed. All they could do is trust the message given to them by the women and do what they said. If they stayed in Jerusalem, they feared that they may be prosecuted as well.
When they got to Galilee, they saw Him and still some doubted that He was really alive. Yet, they worshiped Him. At this point, Jesus tells them what He wants them to do — go make more disciples.
The Major Points of the Great Commission
- Jesus assures them that He has ALL the authority. In other words, follow HIS teachings, not anyone else’s — including a church doctrine that doesn’t follow the Gospel Truth.
- GO — the opposite of stay. It’s a command.
- MAKE DISCIPLES — This doesn’t just mean get people to attend your church. No, it means teach them the true Gospel of salvation. Make sure they believe it.
- ALL NATIONS — Jews and Gentiles alike — everyone.
- BAPTIZING THEM — Adults, children aged older than 10-12 (the Age of Accountability…). Remember, they have to believe first. Babies can’t do that!
- TEACH THEM TO OBEY — Again, you can’t teach babies to obey what they don’t understand. Youth and adults, yes. Babies no.
- JESUS WILL BE WITH YOU — While you’re out there talking to people, Jesus is with you. You’re never alone! If you stay focused on Jesus, you will not fail in making disciples.
It’s a promise. Believe in Jesus and He will be with you forever.
Do you Believe?
Are you sure that you have your 1-way, non-stop ticket to Heaven? If not, then this is what you have to do…
Believe. Repent. Be Baptized. Receive the Holy Spirit.
Pray this prayer humbly and wholeheartedly…
“Dear Lord Jesus, I know I am a sinner. I believe You died for my sins. Please forgive me. Right now, I turn from my sins and open the door of my heart and life to you. I confess You as my personal Lord and Savior. I will follow you for the rest of my life. Thank You for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.”
Soli Deo Gloria — to God Alone be the Glory!
- From Catholic to Prodigal: Surviving College
- From Prodigal to Progressive: Surviving Hurricanes
- From Progressive to Born Again Christian: Surviving Unemployment