Deuteronomy is the epic conclusion to the Torah — the 5 Books of Moses. In Numbers, God told Moses that he won’t be entering the Promised Land and he dies at the end of this book. However, God tells Moses that he has to prepare this new generation before they go into the Land of Canaan. Remember, the majority of these folks haven’t heard the 10 Commandments, the dos and don’ts, as well as how God wants to be worshiped. God also wants Moses to reiterate that He forbids idolatry.
Before Moses gets into the law (Deuteronomy means “2nd Law”), he recounts the history of the Exodus. He actually tells of some things not in Exodus and Numbers. He was making the story relevant to this generation. That was very wise. He also clarified a lot — trying to get them to understand that God doesn’t kid around. If you disobey, you suffer the consequences.
Since a lot of this message was covered in Exodus and Numbers, I skip over some of the repeated stuff, but I encourage you to read it for yourself. It is Moses’ last sermons. I just go over the highlights. We’ll start with chapters 1-5. Let’s dig in….
Jesus in the Old Testament: Deuteronomy
- Part 1: Listen Carefully – a Pep Talk to the New Generation
- Part 2: A Call to Wholehearted Commitment
- Part 3: We Don’t Deserve It, But Jesus Saves Us Anyway!
- Part 4: Worshiping the One True God
- Part 5: Wise Advice, Respect Creation & One Another
- Part 6: How Bad Could it Get if You Disobey God?
- Part 7: It’s Your Choice! Go with the Culture or Go with God
- Finale: Be Strong and Courageous and Fear the Lord
If you’re not sure if you’re saved or not, if you truly want to be born again and have the assurance of salvation, receive the Holy Spirit, feel His Shalom — a peace that surpasses all understanding, and get a 1-way, non-stop ticket to Heaven after you die, or that you won’t be left behind at the Rapture, which can happen at any moment, this is what you have to do…
Believe. Repent. Be Baptized. Receive the Holy Spirit.
- Believe — have Faith — that Jesus is the Christ and He died taking your sins away forever and that He rose from the dead 3 days later.
- Repent of your sins — stop sinning! Do a complete 180-degree turn in your life and surrender your life to Him. When you ask Jesus to forgive you He will. ALL your sins will be wiped clean — past, present, and future! And All means ALL!
- Be Baptized by water baptism — show the world and yourself that you have died to your old life and are born again in Christ.
- Receive the gift of Holy Spirit in your heart.